Friday, March 23, 2018

Day 14 (3/14) Lake Park

Today was such a great day! We decided to forgo any site-seeing or shopping and just enjoyed time with each other and not having a schedule. We swam a bit and later explored a nearby park. The parks here are incredible! This one has a lake with paths that go around it and multiple buildings, bridges and various play areas. This park also has an amusement park and exercise areas that were packed with people doing the weirdest movements (see videos). There were also badminton courts and ping pong tables full of people playing. Guangzhou is the third most populous city in China (after Beijing and Shanghai) and it’s known as the flower city. There are flowers everywhere and the park was full of them and the fragrance was amazing!

We discovered yesterday that Suzie is okay in the stroller as long as I am pushing it. I thought she’d prefer me next to her holding her hand, but no, she’d rather me push the stroller. She’s even ok with Brian walking next to her, just not pushing the stroller. For some reason she needs that sense of control. Trauma doesn’t always make sense, it just is.

At the park, I took her out of the stroller a few times to sit in the play area and give her a chance to feel what it is like. I hate the thought of her always having to watch from her chair and not get to play with the other kids. Someday she will get to run around as well- we have no doubt! This girl is so determined and strong! She has pulled herself up to standing a few times and I’ve held her, supporting her weight, and she’s done the motion of walking. She loves it! Her little feet are so soft- softer than her hands from always being in socks and never walked on. We’ve had her barefoot a few times and she loves it. She now pulls her socks off right when we get back in the hotel room. I think her feet have actually gotten slightly tougher over just the past week. I don’t think she’ll be stuck on the sideline for much longer!

Also, she’s eating more - yay! She’s a noodle girl (vs rice) and she’s eating better for us now. She ate enough to have a full Buddha belly twice today!?

She is letting Brian get closer little by little. He still can’t hold her but was able to give her a kiss on the cheek today (which she promptly wiped off, but at least didn’t cry) and she was fine sharing his fries. He just keeps sneaking in little touches here and there. I predict that she’ll eventually turn into a Daddy’s girl. She loves all the silliness.

I don’t know how we got so lucky, but we have the most amazing daughter! She has an infectious giggle and her tiny voice is so endearing. I taught her to give a thumbs up and it’s now my way of making sure she is ok and comfortable. If she is, she gives me a thumbs up back. If not, I know not to push her any further. She’s so smart. I swear she is already understanding a lot of what we say.
Two weeks ago, I was very scared of this little girl. I was so scared that we wouldn’t be enough for her and that she would need so much more than we could offer. It terrified me and kept me up at night. I broke down in tears daily. I feared what this adoption would do to our family and our life. This is only the beginning, but everyday we thank God that He brought us to this girl. Brian and I look at each other in amazement multiple times a day, thinking “how is she possibly ours?!” We are ready to come home and show her the world as we show her to the world!


mouth full of noodles

Addie talking on a banana





badminton courts at the park


ping pong tables at the park











foot massage path









ending the day with a movie


No comments:

Post a Comment